Close your eyes and I'll kiss you / Tomorrow I'll miss you / Remember I'll always be true / And then while I'm away / I'll write home every day / And I'll send all my loving to you

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day #95: Northstar Trekking

Wow! I was privileged enough to get to go up onto the Mendenhall Glacier for a short hike via helicopter today with Northstar Trekking. I have to say, of all the things I've done here this summer, this was at the top of the list (right next to the Taku Lodge tour that Daniel and I did). I recommend this tour for anyone and everyone travelling to Juneau! The day was amazing, comparatively speaking, because we could see the tops of the mountains and it wasn't raining, so the helicopter ride was pretty spectacular. The guides were awesome - one of them was a great woman who, just like me, simply loves being out in the great outdoors - and we walked all over the glacier and took some great photos. So the views were spectacular, the walk was just as cool, as per usual, I drank some glacier water (delicious, of course), and I got to wear crampons which made me feel right at home. Amanda, the guide, was saying that walking on the glacier was going to make me miss Alaska. I believe it. Especially after this tour today, I am pretty bummed about going home on Friday! Even though there is so much good stuff heading my way, I will miss the beauty of this place as well as my new friends.


Yesterday was pretty awesome. Jessica and I went to see the movie Mount St. Elias - a documentary about some Austrian men who climbed the Mountain and achieved the longest vertical ski descent (18,000 feet from summit to ocean). Their journey was not without complications though, and they got stuck in a blizzard as well as having some problems with avalanches. I recommend the movie! It made me really excited to climb some mountains this fall. Afterward we went and got frozen yogurt, which was amazing. That was the second of three days off! It's been relaxing but I am anxious to get back to work and finish up this time here. Oh well, it will come soon enough... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment