Close your eyes and I'll kiss you / Tomorrow I'll miss you / Remember I'll always be true / And then while I'm away / I'll write home every day / And I'll send all my loving to you

Monday, September 12, 2011

Day #89: Sunshine & Good Times

So much has been happening over the last week! On Wednesday, a woman (travelling by herself, and who was very sweet) found a $50 bill on my bus and loved me so much that she decided to give it to me instead of keeping it for herself. "Consider it a gift from God," she said. It certainly was. That same day I decided that Whale Watching & Salmon Bake tours are my favorite because the folks get to eat afterwards, so they are psyched on life. Interestingly enough, though, after all this promise of working crazy busy days and having so many tours to give everyone, our hours have been significantly cut and we are no longer getting to stay with the entire group for the whole tour. We also had our first no ship days: Friday there were zero ships in port all day, and Sunday we had one ship in but it was a Royal Caribbean ship, who we don't drive for. Because the weather has been FABULOUS these days off having been awesome.

Friday was awesome. I woke up and went to breakfast with Nick. Later on in the afternoon, I met up with some friends (Jess, Brit, Becca, Debs & her sister) and we went thrift store shopping. At Salvation Army I found a white 100% wool sweater that fits perfectly for $4 and at The Closet I found a down vest for $17, another fuzzy vest for my mom, a gypsy skirt and a bag (I can't believe I haven't had a purse until now). The vest and the sweater will be great for cold desert nights this fall! After that, we went to get frozen yogurt and I gorged myself on the goodness; then we saw the movie Contagion, which I could have done without. It was a great day of bonding with some great people.


Saturday the weather really opened up. I worked early in the morning, and after work Stephanie, Josiah, Jessica and I went out the road to Eagle Beach and walked around in the mud flats. I'm not sure why we were surprised when we wound up in the mud up to our knees, but it sure was a fabulous afternoon of being outside in the gorgeous sun. When we came back we had dinner at the Island Pub with a bunch of folks to celebrate Deborah's birthday. We danced and ate great food and talked about our plans for the future. Saturday night we took a company van out to North Douglas and camped out on the beach until 2 looking for the northern lights, since it was a clear night. It was unsuccessful, but it was a really fun night hanging out with friends!


Yesterday was also pretty cool! Went to breakfast again with some friends out in the valley, then afterwards took the scooter all the way out the road with Jessica. That was quite the adventure! We were gone for 5 hours, wore too little clothing, saw some great scenery but made the mistake of waiting for someone to pick us up on the way back to find out a little too late that they actually weren't coming after all. (An hour of daylight and warmth wasted!) But we made it back in one piece with a great story to tell. I even went out again last night, by myself, for an hour or so to see if I could find some northern lights. Again, I was not successful, but I do really hope that by the time I go home I will be able to say that I saw them!!


Since so many people have left, the small group of people that is still here has become really tight knit and close. I've been bonding with people I didn't think I would bond with, all because we're all here until the "bitter end" and we can share this beautiful weather. There are about ten days left until I come home, and I couldn't be more excited. I'm feeling ready for my next adventure. But until then, I have some great friends to make a few last memories with and to enjoy every last second of my time here in beautiful Juneau, AK. I just can't believe that this summer is already over!!

No comments:

Post a Comment