Close your eyes and I'll kiss you / Tomorrow I'll miss you / Remember I'll always be true / And then while I'm away / I'll write home every day / And I'll send all my loving to you

Monday, August 29, 2011

Day #75: It Pays To Be Positive

Literally. I made the mental commitment today to staying positive and enjoying the rest of my time here in Juneau, and it didn't hurt that it stopped raining with a little cloud lift today to brighten my spirits. The more I savor the moments the quicker they seem to pass - because time flies when we're having fun, right? I'm stuck between trying to soak in the last few drops of fun and being impatient to go home. That's okay, both are pulling at me equally and I'm fine with it. But today, my positive attitude was rewarded with some really appreciative folks who were quite generous at the end of the day.

Inspired by a facebook post from one of the drivers who left last week, I added up some numbers to summarize what I have done so far this summer. The list is absolutely fascinating. So far this summer, from June 16th to August 28th:

Miles driven: 4,265 miles
Tours given: 55
Separate transfers made: 52
Days of transfers only: 7
Days spent with an hour or more of shuttle: 13
Average tips/tour: $30
Days off: 13
Days worked: 62
Hours worked: 560
Hours per day: Approx. 9
Hours per week: Approx. 56

I don't know if this gives you any insight into what my summer has been like or not, but it has absolutely flown by. As cheesy as it may sound, it really has been a whirlwind - so many great memories of beautiful moments spent with amazing people from all over the country, but here at the end they all seem to blur together. Every day I when I write in my log book I feel as though I am asking myself, how is it already August 28th? I'm going to add another list here; this is a list of all the wonderful moments that stick out in my head.

1. The scoot ride with Nick out to North Douglas Island on a cloudless day.
2. Ultimate frisbee the second night after we got into town, on a beautiful evening.
3. Hanging out & hiking with Daniel - especially comping the Taku Lodge tour.
4. Both silent dance parties.
5. Learning to fish with Pat out near the end of the road.
6. That first night I felt a sense of belonging; deep convos with both Nick & Pat.
7. The fourth of July. Great friends, great fireworks.
8. Group hike out the West Glacier Trail to the ice caves.
9. Getting paid to ride a helicopter and go on a dog sledding tour.
10. Going out to the glacier with friends after the lake flooded.
11. Those 3 days of high 70-degree weather and that one AWESOME tour.
12. All of the great hiking: Mt. Roberts, Mt. Juneau, Perseverance, etc.
13. The first discovery of the Waffle Co.

I feel like this list could probably go on but these are the ones I can really think of. Perhaps I will add some more to this list over the next 3 and a half weeks until I leave, and I certainly know that there are still plenty of good times to come. The nearness of the end has begun to make me both giddy and slightly sad to leave these memories and these friends behind, but I know there are so many more adventures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment